This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you if you click on one of my links and make a purchase.
Pockets are one of the most popular diaper choices for families that go the cloth route. Finding the best pocket cloth diapers can be a bit of a challenge sometimes, but there are so many fabulous brands from with to choose.
Pocket diapers are a diaper made from a shell/liner and an insert. They typically have an outer layer of PUL (though you can find different outer materials, too) and a liner made of fleece or suede. There is an opening at the back of the diaper (though some have the opening at the front) for you to stuff inserts in. Once the pocket is stuffed, it can go on just like a disposable diaper, making it an easy choice to leave for babysitters and daycares. These diapers come with both snap and hook & loop fasteners, so you can make a choice as to which you would prefer.
There are SO many choices out there and many great brands. I have tried many of them myself, and I have some clear favorites. I have also done extensive research on many different types of pockets, especially before each time I make a purchase. While I feel confident that you will love these, I must throw in the disclaimer that everyone likes different kinds of products for different reasons, and some babies are shaped differently than others and do better with different brands.
BumGenius 5.0s gets the number one spot for many reasons:
- Extremely high-quality product that can last through multiple kids.
- BumGenius can actually be found at some brick and mortar stores, which is not very common with many other brands of cloth diapers. They can be found at both Buy Buy Baby and Target (though usually only online at Target, but sometimes you get lucky in store), meaning they can be added to baby registries, making it easier for friends and family to know what you want. This is a very accessible brand (I should add–if you live in the US).
- So many adorable prints! The prints are often in honor of a famous person with great contributions to society.
- One size fits babies from about 8 lbs to potty training (though I found from 10-12 lbs on to be more my experience).
- Reasonably priced–it is not the cheapest pocket by any means, but it is also not the most expensive. On a scale of $-$$$$, I give it a $$.
Thirsties is an amazing brand with pricing comparable to BumGenius. For how awesome these diapers are, I would have thought they would cost more. Here are some of the perks:
- Several adorable prints
- Extremely soft and comfortable
- Diaper comes with higher quality inserts than the standard microfiber that comes with other brands
- Extremely absorbent
- Double leg gussets guard against leaks
- One size
- Price: $$ out of $$$$.
The Rumparooz G2 is another great choice. I love how cute and cozy they are. Here are some perks of the Rumparooz G2 Pocket:
- There is a double gusset for the legs that helps make sure you get a good seal.
- The inner lining is a microchamois material, meaning is it incredibly soft and doesn’t pill. It’s also hypoallergenic.
- It is fluffy and comfortable WITHOUT being bulky.
- Many beautiful colors and exciting prints to choose from.
- TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane) outer shell as opposed to PUL (polyurethane laminate)–TPU is thought to be biodegradable, and is made with a head bond as opposed to the chemical bond of PUL. However, you do need to wash and dry TPU on lower heat than PUL.
- One Size
- Price: $$$
Charlie Bananas are another awesome choice. The diapers have a lower rise than some other brands which made me nervous at first, but I soon realized there was no point in worrying. These diapers are cozy and comfy, and they also are a little more adjustable in my opinion than some other brands, which makes getting a good fit easier. Here are some perks of the Charlie Bananas:
- Super soft and comfy
- Easily adjustable in the snaps to get a more precise fit
- Good quality diaper that holds up well over many years
- Trim fit
- One Size
- $$$ (out of $$$$)
Ah, yes. Alvas. These are a “China Cheapie” diaper. They are extremely economically priced, which is why they made the list. There are several other “China Cheapie” brands, but Alvas have been my favorite. They also have a fit and style very similar to BumGenius, so if you like BGs, you will probably love Alvas, too. Here are the perks of the Alvas:
- Similar fit and style to BumGenius, so if you like BGs but want to spend less money, you can go for Alvas.
- Several colors and the amount of prints they have is growing all the time.
- One Size
- Customer Service is good.
- Priced $ out of $$$$
One thing I will say about the Alvas is that (in my experience), they have not held up as well as some of the more expensive brands. However, they are easily repaired if you can use a needle and thread. The price honestly can’t be beat, and if you are on a budget and don’t mind spending some time doing repairs once a year, Alvas are a fantastic choice.
Pockets–A Solid Choice!
There is a reason that pocket diapers are so popular. They are easy to use, easy to clean, easy to put on…. I would say the only downside to a pocket is if you are used to all-in-ones–you might find it annoying to stuff. If you aren’t sure if a pocket diaper is what you are looking for, there are several other styles of cloth diapers. All families can find a style that will suit them perfectly.
What do you think? Cloth diaper veterans out there–what is your favorite pocket? Cloth newbies, which one sounds the best to you? Let me know in the comments!